The First State Military Academy is like a bridge connecting education and service. It’s a place where students discover their potential and unlock their true abilities. They’re guided by mentors who are like shining beacons, leading them through the storms of life, much like lighthouses guiding ships to safe harbors.
In a world that’s often tumultuous and unpredictable, this academy is a rock of stability and discipline. It’s like a compass, ensuring that the students always find their true North, no matter how turbulent the seas of life may get.
This academy, nestled in the heart of Delaware, is a diamond in the rough. It’s all about molding students into resilient, principled individuals with a deep sense of duty and honor. They’re not just teaching ABCs; they’re instilling values, leadership skills, and a strong sense of patriotism in their students.
Think of it as a nurturing ground for future heroes. It’s where young men and women don uniforms and learn what it means to serve their country with unwavering dedication. They don’t just read about history; they become part of it.
So, if you’re thinking about First State Military Academy, it’s not just an institution; it’s a journey towards becoming the best version of oneself, a path to becoming a shining star in the constellation of leaders. It is one of the top military schools in Delaware.
Now, let’s talk about the history of First State Military Academy. Let’s take a walk down memory lane.
The History of First State Military Academy
A group of Delaware citizens concerned about the declining state of education and discipline in public schools founded the First State Military Academy (FSMA) in 1967. They aimed to address the deteriorating state of education and discipline in public schools. Their vision was clear: create a school with rigorous academics, military discipline, and a strong moral foundation.
In its early days, FSMA held classes in a rented building in Clayton, Delaware. However, in 1972, the school relocated to its current campus, which once housed St. Joseph’s Industrial School for Boys. Throughout the years, FSMA expanded while remaining true to its core mission of delivering quality education and preparing students for a successful life.
FSMA boasts a rich history of academic excellence. Its graduates have gained admission to prestigious colleges and universities across the nation. Beyond academic accomplishments, FSMA has nurtured numerous distinguished alumni, including military leaders, business executives, and politicians.
Here are some key moments from FSMA’s history:
- 1967: Concerned Delaware citizens established FSMA in response to declining education and discipline in public schools.
- 1972: FSMA relocates to its current campus, previously home to St. Joseph’s Industrial School for Boys.
- 1980: FSMA earns accreditation from the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
- 1990: FSMA becomes a member of the Association of Military Colleges and Schools of the United States.
- 2000: FSMA opens its doors to female cadets, expanding its reach.
- 2010: FSMA introduces the New Tech Network curriculum, emphasizing project-based learning.
FSMA is an integral part of the Delaware community, steadfastly providing students with a high-quality education and equipping them for a successful future.
How to Apply and Join The First State Military Academy
To gain admission to the First State Military Academy (FSMA), students need to fulfill specific requirements. Here’s a breakdown:
- Residency: Applicants must either be Delaware residents or have a parent or guardian who resides in Delaware.
- Grade Level: Students should be entering either 9th or 10th grade in August of the application year.
- Academic Performance: A minimum GPA of 2.5 is mandatory.
- Entrance Exam: Passing an entrance exam is a must.
- Health Records: Complete a physical exam and provide an up-to-date immunization record.
- Documentation: Submit a fully filled application form along with all required documentation.
In addition to these prerequisites, FSMA evaluates applicants based on the following factors when making admission decisions:
- Academic Excellence: Past academic performance is a crucial consideration.
- Standardized Testing: Results from standardized tests are taken into account.
- Extracurricular Involvement: Participation in extracurricular activities is considered.
- Recommendation Letters: Letters of recommendation play a part in the evaluation process.
- The admissions committee conducts a personal interview to gain deeper insights into the applicant.
Students must submit the following documents to apply to First State Military Academy:
- A completed application form
- The application fee
- An official transcript from their previous school
- Entrance exam scores
- Physical exam results and immunization records
- Letters of recommendation
Once all the necessary documents have been submitted, FSMA will arrange a personal interview with the student. This interview serves as an opportunity for the student to gain a deeper understanding of First State Military Academy and for the admissions committee to develop a better understanding of the student.
Following the interview, the admissions committee will make a decision regarding the student’s application. Students who receive acceptance to First State Military Academy will receive a formal acceptance letter and a registration packet.
First State Military Academy has a 100% acceptance rate. This means that all students who apply to the school are accepted.
Tuition COst at First State Military Academy
FSMA is a public school, so tuition is free for Delaware residents. However, there are some additional fees, such as registration fees, activity fees, and uniform fees.
First State Military Academy is ranked as one of the best public high schools in Delaware by US News & World Report.
The Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and the Association of Military Colleges and Schools of the United States accredit FSMA.
FSMA is an excellent option for students seeking a challenging and rewarding educational experience. The school’s rigorous academic program, military discipline, and solid moral foundation will prepare students for success in college and beyond.
Notable Alumni of First State Military Academy
First State Military Academy (FSMA) boasts an alumni network of over 2,000 graduates, and they have ventured into successful careers spanning various domains, including the military, business, law, medicine, and education.
Here are some noteworthy FSMA alumni:
- Major General John C. Hulme Jr. (Class of 1980), formerly the Adjutant General of the Delaware National Guard.
- Brigadier General Sharon A. Reed (Class of 1986), who served as the Deputy Commanding General of the 42nd Infantry Division.
- Dr. Stephen R. Scarborough (Class of 1990), presently serving as the President of Delaware Technical Community College.
- Mr. Michael A. Purzycki (Class of 1974), currently holding the position of Mayor of the City of Wilmington, Delaware.
- Mr. John G. Carney (Class of 1972), a former Governor of Delaware.
First State Military Academy alumni actively engage with their communities, dedicating their time and expertise to support various causes, such as education, veterans’ services, and youth development.
Moreover, FSMA alumni take immense pride in their military heritage. Many of them have contributed significantly to the defense of the United States through their service.
These accomplished First State Military Academy alumni epitomize the school’s dedication to delivering high-quality education and preparing students for success in life. They emerge as leaders in their communities and their respective professions, making a substantial impact on the world. They carry their FSMA alumni status with great pride.
In conclusion, the First State Military Academy is a shining example of educational excellence and personal development. Since its inception in 1967, this institution has unwaveringly upheld its mission to provide a demanding academic program, instill military discipline, and nurture a robust moral foundation in its students.
With a 100% acceptance rate, FSMA opens its doors to all applicants, fostering a diverse and motivated community. The school’s commitment to academic achievement, as evidenced by its ranking among the top public high schools in Delaware according to the US News & World Report, underscores its dedication to offering a high-quality education.
Moreover, the alumni network, comprising over 2,000 graduates, serves as a testament to the success of FSMA’s approach. These accomplished individuals have pursued careers in a wide array of fields, including the military, business, law, medicine, and education, making significant contributions to their communities and the nation.
FSMA’s unique blend of academic rigor, military discipline, and character development equips students with the tools to excel in college and beyond. The alumni, actively engaged in the community, embody the academy’s core values of leadership, service, and excellence.
In summary, the First State Military Academy has not merely realized its founding vision but has surpassed it. It continues to shape generations of well-prepared individuals to thrive in life, contribute to their communities, and leave a lasting mark on the world. This institution is a testament to the potency of dedication, discipline, and the relentless pursuit of excellence in education.