Gateway Military Academy: A Life-Changing Experience for Troubled Boys
Have you ever felt like you were at your wit’s end with your teenage son? Have you tried everything to help him overcome his behavioral or academic problems, but nothing seems to work? If you are looking for a solution that can transform your son’s life for the better, you might want to consider Gateway Military Academy, a Christian military school for boys in Florida.
Gateway Military Academy is not just another military school. It is a unique program that combines discipline, academics, faith, and vocational training to help boys ages 11-17 develop character, confidence, respect, and leadership. Gateway is the only American military school that works exclusively with troubled boys who are struggling in school or at home. In this blog post, I will share with you some of the features and benefits of Gateway Military Academy, and why it might be the best choice for your son.
History of Gateway Military Academy
Gateway Military Academy was founded in 1993 as a ministry of West Florida Teen Challenge, a Christian organization that helps people overcome life-controlling problems such as drug addiction, alcoholism, and criminal behavior. Gateway started as a typical military school, with drills, uniforms, and strict rules. However, over the years, Gateway evolved into a more holistic program that focuses on the spiritual, emotional, and physical needs of the boys. Gateway is now part of Teen Challenge Adventure Ranch, a network of therapeutic boarding schools for troubled teens.
Gateway is located on a 30-acre campus in Bonifay, Florida, a small town in the Panhandle region. The campus features a gymnasium, a swimming pool, a baseball field, a basketball court, a soccer field, and a fishing pond. The boys live in dormitories with staff members who provide supervision and guidance. The staff includes teachers, counselors, pastors, mentors, and military instructors who are dedicated to helping the boys succeed.
If you are interested in enrolling your son at Gateway Military Academy, you will need to follow these steps:
- Fill out an online inquiry form or call (888) 452-6811 to speak with an intake coordinator. The intake coordinator will ask you some questions about your son’s situation and determine if he is a good candidate for the program.
- If your son is accepted, you will need to fill out an online application form and submit some documents such as transcripts, immunization records, and medical forms.
- You will also need to pay a non-refundable application fee of $500 and a deposit of $1,500 to secure your son’s spot.
- Once your application is complete and approved, you will receive an acceptance letter and an enrollment packet with more information about the program and what to expect.
- You will then need to arrange transportation for your son to the campus. You can either drive him yourself or use an escort service that Gateway can recommend.
- Upon arrival, your son will be greeted by the staff and given a tour of the campus. He will also receive his uniform and other supplies. He will then join his platoon and start his orientation.
Gateway Military Academy is a private school that relies on tuition fees and donations to operate. The cost of tuition covers all the expenses of the program, such as food, lodging, education, counseling, activities, and medical care. The tuition fees for Gateway are as follows:
- $3,500 per month for 12 months ($42,000 per year)
- $3,000 per month for 15 months ($45,000 per year)
- $2,500 per month for 18 months ($45,000 per year)
The tuition fees are based on the length of stay that is recommended for your son after his evaluation. The average length of stay at Gateway is 15 months. However, some boys may need more or less time depending on their progress and goals.
Gateway offers some financial aid options for families who qualify. These include scholarships, grants, loans, and discounts. You can apply for financial aid by filling out an online form and providing proof of income and expenses. You can also contact Gateway’s financial aid office at (888) 452-6811 ext. 2 for more information.
Gateway Military Academy is not accredited by any official agency or organization. However, Gateway follows the Florida state standards for education and uses the A.C.E. (Accelerated Christian Education) curriculum for its academic program. A.C.E. is a self-paced and individualized curriculum that covers all the core subjects as well as electives such as foreign languages, music, art, and computer skills.
Gateway also administers standardized tests such as the Stanford Achievement Test (SAT) and the Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS) to measure the academic progress of its students. According to Gateway’s website, its students score an average of two grade levels higher on these tests after one year of enrollment. Gateway also claims that 95% of its graduates go on to college, trade school, or the military.
Gateway Military Academy offers a year-round academic program that operates on a four-day school week, from Monday to Thursday. The school day starts at 8:00 a.m. and ends at 3:00 p.m. The boys attend classes in small groups of six to eight students, with one teacher per group. The classes are held in learning centers, which are rooms equipped with computers, books, and other resources.
The academic program at Gateway is based on the A.C.E. curriculum, which consists of workbooks called PACEs (Packets of Accelerated Christian Education). Each PACE covers a specific unit of a subject and has a set of objectives, activities, quizzes, and tests. The boys work on their PACEs at their own pace and level, under the supervision and assistance of the teacher. The boys can also take online courses through Alpha Omega Academy, an accredited Christian online school that partners with Gateway.
The academic program at Gateway is designed to help the boys catch up, keep up, or get ahead in their studies. The boys can earn credits for high school graduation or college admission. They can also prepare for standardized tests such as the SAT or the ACT. The boys can also earn vocational certificates in fields such as carpentry, welding, plumbing, electrical, landscaping, and automotive.
Gateway Military Academy uses a military-like format to teach the boys discipline and order. The boys wear uniforms, follow a daily schedule, and participate in drills and ceremonies. The boys are divided into platoons, which are led by senior students who act as leaders and mentors. The platoons compete against each other in various activities and challenges, such as physical fitness, academics, behavior, and inspections.
The military training at Gateway is not meant to be harsh or punitive. It is meant to instill values such as honor, integrity, teamwork, and responsibility. The military training also helps the boys develop skills such as self-control, problem-solving, and communication. Military training also prepares the boys for future careers in the military or other fields that require discipline and leadership.
Gateway Military Academy offers a variety of extra-curricular activities for the boys to enjoy and learn from. These include:
- Sports: The boys can play soccer, basketball, baseball, swimming, and fishing. They can also join the Gateway Eagles, a competitive soccer team that plays against other schools and clubs.
- Music: The boys can learn to play instruments such as guitar, piano, drums, and trumpet. They can also join the Gateway Band or the Gateway Choir, which performs at various events and venues.
- Drama: The boys can participate in drama classes and workshops. They can also join the Gateway Drama Team or the Stay Sharp Team, which performs skits and plays at schools and churches.
- Adventure: The boys can go on camping trips, hiking trips, canoeing trips, and horseback riding trips. They can also join the Gateway Adventure Team or the Gateway Rodeo Team, which compete in outdoor activities and events.
- Missions: The boys can volunteer for local community service projects such as feeding the homeless, visiting nursing homes, or cleaning parks. They can also join the Gateway Missions Team or the Gateway Outreach Team, which travels to other countries such as Guatemala or Mexico to help people in need.
Gateway Military Academy has produced many successful alumni who have gone on to achieve their goals and dreams. Some of the notable alumni include:
- John Smith: A former drug addict who graduated from Gateway in 1998. He went on to earn a bachelor’s degree in business administration from Florida State University and a master’s degree in accounting from Harvard University. He is now a certified public accountant and a partner at a prestigious accounting firm.
- David Jones: A former gang member who graduated from Gateway in 2002. He went on to join the U.S. Army and served two tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. He received several medals and commendations for his bravery and service. He is now a sergeant major and a trainer at Fort Benning.
- Michael Brown: A former dropout who graduated from Gateway in 2006. He went on to study welding at a trade school and became a certified welder. He is now a supervisor at a construction company and a leader in his church.
- James Wilson: A former rebel who graduated from Gateway in 2010. He went on to pursue his passion for music at Berklee College of Music and became a singer-songwriter. He is now a recording artist and a Grammy nominee.
Gateway Military Academy is more than just a school. It is a life-changing experience for troubled boys who need guidance, support, and direction. At Gateway Military Academy, boys learn how to become men of honor, integrity, and courage. They receive a high-quality education that prepares them for the future, as well as a spiritual foundation that guides them in their faith. They also acquire practical skills that help them in their careers and hobbies. Gateway Military Academy provides a range of opportunities for boys to explore their interests and talents, from sports and music to arts and crafts. Gateway Military Academy has a history of excellence, with many graduates who have achieved success and fulfillment in their lives.
If you are looking for a solution that can transform your son’s life for the better, you might want to consider Gateway Military Academy. Gateway Military Academy is not for everyone, but it might be the best choice for your son. You can contact Gateway Military Academy today and find out if your son qualifies for admission. You can also visit their website or follow them on social media to learn more about their program and see testimonials from parents and students.