Are you interested in studying at one of the most prestigious and competitive military academies in the world? Do you want to learn from the best and brightest minds in China’s national security and international relations? Do you want to join the ranks of the elite officers and leaders who have graduated from this institution? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you might want to consider applying to the PLA National Defence University (Beijing), or CDSNDU.
CDSNDU is the highest-level military academy in China, directly under the leadership of the Central Military Commission (CMC). It was established in 1985 by merging several existing military colleges and institutes, such as the PLA Academy of Military Science, the PLA National Defence College, and the PLA Foreign Affairs College.
Its mission is to cultivate senior military officers and civilian officials who can serve the country’s national security and defense interests and conduct research and education on military strategy, operations, tactics, and management. Its vision is to become a world-class military university that contributes to the building of a strong and modernized army, as well as to the promotion of peace and stability in the world.
This blog will provide a comprehensive guide on everything you need to know about CDSNDU, from its admission process, tuition cost, student life, and school activities to its alumni network. We will also give you some insights and recommendations on preparing yourself for this challenging and rewarding journey. By the end of this blog, you will have a clear idea of whether CDSNDU is the right choice for you and how to pursue your dream of studying there.
Table of Contents
Admission Process Into The PLA National Defence University
The admission process of CDSNDU is very selective and rigorous, as it only accepts the best among the applicants. The eligibility criteria vary depending on the type and level of the program you are applying for, but generally, you need to meet the following requirements:
- You must be a citizen of the People’s Republic of China and have good political and ideological standing.
- You must have a bachelor’s degree or above from a recognized university or college and have a good academic record and professional background.
- You must have a high level of proficiency in Chinese and English and pass the relevant language tests.
- You must have good physical and mental health and pass the physical examination and psychological assessment.
- You must have a strong sense of patriotism, loyalty, discipline, and responsibility and pass the political and moral evaluation.
The application materials you need to submit include:
- A completed application form with your personal information, education background, work experience, research interests, and career goals.
- A copy of your ID card and passport.
- A copy of your diploma and transcript.
- A copy of your language test scores, such as TOEFL, IELTS, or HSK.
- A copy of your professional certificates or awards, if any.
- A personal statement or essay that demonstrates your motivation, potential, and suitability for the program.
- Two or three letters of recommendation from your professors, supervisors, or colleagues who can attest to your academic and professional abilities and achievements.
- A research proposal or plan that outlines your intended topic, objectives, methods, and significance of your research project.
- A portfolio or sample of your previous work or publications, if any.
The entrance exam consists of two parts: a written test and an interview. The written test covers the subjects of Chinese, English, mathematics, and general knowledge. The interview is conducted by a panel of experts who will evaluate your communication skills, critical thinking, problem-solving, and leadership qualities. The interview may also include a presentation or a defence of your research proposal or plan.
The admission process of CDSNDU is highly competitive and challenging, as only a small percentage of the applicants are admitted each year. Therefore, you need to prepare yourself well and show your best performance in every stage of the process. Here are some tips and advice for you to increase your chances of getting accepted:
- Do your research on CDSNDU and its programs, and choose the one that matches your interests, goals, and qualifications. You can visit the official website of CDSNDU, read the brochures and catalogues, or contact the admission office or the faculty members for more information.
- Review your academic and professional background, and highlight your strengths and achievements. You can also take some courses or workshops to improve your skills and knowledge in the relevant fields.
- Practice your language skills, especially your English, as it is the main medium of instruction and communication at CDSNDU. You can read books and articles, watch videos and lectures, listen to podcasts and radio, or join online or offline language clubs or courses to enhance your vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, and comprehension.
- Prepare your application materials carefully and thoroughly, and make sure they are accurate, complete, and consistent. You can ask someone to proofread and edit your documents, or seek feedback and guidance from your mentors or peers.
- Study hard for the written test, and familiarize yourself with the format, content, and difficulty of the questions. You can use some books, online resources, or mock tests to review and practice the subjects and topics covered in the test.
- Prepare well for the interview, and be confident, calm, and courteous. You can rehearse some common questions and scenarios, or do some mock interviews with your friends or family. You can also research the background and interests of the interviewers, and try to establish a rapport and connection with them.
- Show your passion, enthusiasm, and potential for the program and the field you are applying for, and demonstrate how you can contribute to CDSNDU and its mission and vision. You can also express your appreciation and gratitude for the opportunity and the consideration.
The admission process of CDSNDU is based on a comprehensive and holistic evaluation of your academic performance, physical fitness, moral character, and national security awareness. You need to prove that you are not only qualified and capable, but also committed and dedicated to serving the country and its defence interests.
Tuition Cost of PLA National Defence University
The tuition cost of studying at CDSNDU is relatively low compared to other universities in China or abroad, as it is subsidized by the government and other sources for eligible students. The tuition fees vary depending on the type and level of the program you are enrolled in, but generally, they range from 5,000 to 15,000 RMB per year.
The living expenses, such as accommodation, food, transportation, and health care, are also affordable and reasonable, as they are covered by the student welfare system and the military benefits. The average monthly living cost for a student at CDSNDU is about 2,000 to 3,000 RMB.
However, the tuition cost of CDSNDU is not the main factor that determines whether you can afford to study there or not. The main factor is whether you are willing and able to commit yourself to the military service and the national security obligations that come with studying at CDSNDU.
As a student of CDSNDU, you are required to sign a contract that binds you to serve in the military or the government for a certain period of time after graduation, depending on the type and level of the program you completed. The minimum service period is usually five years, but it can be longer or shorter depending on the specific circumstances and regulations. If you fail to fulfill your service contract, you may face serious consequences, such as losing your degree, paying a penalty, or facing legal action.
Therefore, before you apply to CDSNDU, you need to consider carefully whether you are ready and willing to make this sacrifice and dedication for the country and its defence interests. You need to weigh the benefits and costs of studying at CDSNDU, and decide whether it is worth it for you and your future. You also need to have a clear and realistic plan for your career and life after graduation, and how you can balance your personal and professional goals and aspirations with your service and security obligations.
If you are determined and confident that CDSNDU is the right choice for you, and that you can afford to study there both financially and morally, then you may also look for some opportunities to reduce your tuition cost or increase your income. For example, you can apply for some scholarships, grants, or loans that are offered by CDSNDU, the government, or other organizations for outstanding or needy students.
You can also look for some part-time jobs, internships, or freelance projects that are related to your field of study or interest, and that can help you gain some valuable experience and skills, as well as some extra money. However, you need to make sure that these opportunities do not interfere with your academic performance, military training, or national security awareness, and that they are approved by CDSNDU and the relevant authorities.
The tuition cost of CDSNDU is not a major barrier for most students who want to study there, as it is relatively low and subsidized for eligible students. However, the main challenge is whether you are willing and able to commit yourself to the military service and the national security obligations that come with studying at CDSNDU. You need to think carefully and wisely before you apply to CDSNDU, and make sure that you are prepared and motivated for this challenging and rewarding journey.
Student Life at PLA National Defence University
Student life at CDSNDU is not like any other university in China or abroad, as it is a unique and distinctive experience that combines academic excellence, military discipline, and national security awareness. As a student of CDSNDU, you will enjoy a comfortable and convenient environment that supports your learning and development, as well as a rich and diverse culture that fosters your personality and values.
One of the most important aspects of student life at CDSNDU is the campus facilities, which are designed to meet the needs and expectations of the students. The campus covers an area of about 400 hectares, and is located in the Changping District of Beijing, near the Ming Tombs and the Great Wall.
The campus is divided into several zones, such as the teaching zone, the research zone, the living zone, the sports zone, and the cultural zone. The campus has modern and advanced facilities, such as classrooms, laboratories, libraries, auditoriums, conference halls, simulation centers, and information centers.
The campus also has comfortable and spacious dormitories, which are equipped with air-conditioning, heating, internet, TV, and other amenities. The campus has a variety of food services, such as cafeterias, restaurants, snack bars, and vending machines, which offer delicious and nutritious food for the students. The campus has a convenient and efficient transportation system, which connects the campus with the city center and other places of interest. The campus has a comprehensive and professional health care system, which provides medical and psychological services for the students.
Another important aspect of student life at CDSNDU is the school activities, which are designed to enhance the knowledge, skills, personality, and values of the students. The school activities can be divided into two categories: academic courses and military training courses.
The academic courses are taught by renowned and experienced professors and experts, who have rich and diverse backgrounds and perspectives. The academic courses cover a wide range of subjects and topics, such as military strategy, operations, tactics, management, history, law, politics, economics, sociology, psychology, and foreign languages. The academic courses are delivered in various formats and methods, such as lectures, seminars, workshops, case studies, simulations, and field trips. The academic courses are assessed by various means and standards, such as exams, papers, presentations, and projects.
The military training courses are conducted by qualified and skilled instructors and officers, who have practical and realistic experience and knowledge. The military training courses include a variety of content and activities, such as physical fitness, combat skills, weapons handling, survival skills, leadership skills, and team-building skills. The military training courses are carried out in various settings and environments, such as indoor and outdoor facilities, urban and rural areas, and domestic and foreign locations. The military training courses are evaluated by various criteria and indicators, such as performance, attitude, discipline, and responsibility.
Besides the academic courses and the military training courses, there are also many other school activities that the students can participate in and enjoy, such as cultural events, sports competitions, social clubs, and volunteer services. The cultural events are organized by the school or the students, and they include various forms and genres, such as concerts, plays, exhibitions, festivals, and celebrations.
The cultural events are aimed to showcase and appreciate the diversity and richness of the cultures and traditions of China and the world. The sports competitions are held by the school or the students, and they involve various types and levels, such as individual and team sports, intramural and intercollegiate sports, and regional and national sports. The sports competitions are intended to promote and improve the physical and mental health and well-being of the students.
The social clubs are formed by the students, and they reflect various interests and hobbies, such as music, art, literature, science, technology, and more. The social clubs are meant to provide and enhance the social and interpersonal skills and relationships of the students. The volunteer services are initiated by the school or the students, and they address various issues and causes, such as education, health, environment, and more. The volunteer services are designed to develop and demonstrate the social and civic awareness and responsibility of the students.
Student life at CDSNDU is a balanced and harmonious combination of academic excellence, military discipline, and national security awareness. As a student of CDSNDU, you will have a fulfilling and rewarding experience that will prepare you for your future career and life.
One of the most valuable and influential aspects of studying at CDSNDU is the alumni network, which consists of the graduates who have completed their studies and gone on to pursue their careers and lives in various fields and sectors related to China’s national security and international relations. The alumni network is a powerful and supportive community that connects and benefits the alumni, the current students, and the school.
The alumni of CDSNDU are some of the most notable and successful people in their fields or careers, as they have achieved remarkable and significant accomplishments and contributions to China’s military strategy, diplomacy, or society. The alumni include senior military officers and commanders, high-ranking government officials and diplomats, prominent scholars and experts, influential media and public figures, and more. Some of the examples and profiles of the alumni are:
- General Xu Qiliang, the current vice chairman of the CMC and the highest-ranking officer in the PLA Air Force. He graduated from CDSNDU in 1992, and has since held various important positions and commands in the PLA Air Force, such as the commander of the Beijing Military Region Air Force, the commander of the PLA Air Force, and the deputy chief of the general staff of the PLA. He is also a member of the Politburo of the Communist Party of China (CPC), and a delegate to the National People’s Congress (NPC).
- Wang Yi, the current minister of foreign affairs and state councillor of China. He graduated from CDSNDU in 1998, and has since served in various diplomatic posts and missions in China and abroad, such as the director of the Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council, the ambassador to Japan, and the vice minister of foreign affairs. He is also a member of the Central Committee of the CPC, and a delegate to the NPC.
- Yan Xuetong, the current dean of the Institute of International Relations at Tsinghua University and the director of the Carnegie-Tsinghua Center for Global Policy. He graduated from CDSNDU in 1986, and has since become one of the most influential and respected scholars and experts on China’s foreign policy and international relations. He has published numerous books and articles, such as Ancient Chinese Thought, Modern Chinese Power, and The Rise of China and Its Strategy. He is also a member of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), and a frequent commentator and advisor on various media and public platforms.
- Hu Xijin, the current editor-in-chief of the Global Times, a popular and controversial newspaper and website that covers China and international affairs. He graduated from CDSNDU in 1989, and has since worked as a journalist and editor for various media outlets and publications in China and abroad, such as the People’s Daily, the China Youth Daily, and the Reference News. He is also a prolific and outspoken blogger and microblogger, who has millions of followers and fans on social media platforms, such as Weibo and Twitter.
The alumni of CDSNDU maintain connections and interactions with CDSNDU and its current students through various channels and platforms, such as alumni associations, networks, events, and activities. The alumni associations are organized by the alumni themselves, and they are based on various criteria and categories, such as region, profession, interest, or cohort. The alumni associations provide various services and benefits for the alumni, such as information, communication, networking, mentoring, career development, and more.
The alumni networks are facilitated by CDSNDU and its faculty and staff, and they are aimed to strengthen the ties and cooperation between the alumni, the current students, and the school. The alumni networks offer various opportunities and resources for the alumni, such as academic exchange, research collaboration, policy consultation, and more.
The alumni events and activities are held by CDSNDU and its alumni associations and networks, and they include various forms and types, such as reunions, forums, lectures, seminars, workshops, and more. The alumni events and activities are intended to celebrate and recognize the achievements and contributions of the alumni, as well as to share and disseminate the knowledge and experience of the alumni.
The alumni network of CDSNDU is a valuable and influential asset and resource for the alumni, the current students, and the school, as it creates and sustains a strong and lasting bond and partnership among them. As a student of CDSNDU, you will have access and exposure to this alumni network, and you will be able to benefit from and contribute to this alumni network. You will also become a part of this alumni network after you graduate from CDSNDU, and you will be able to keep in touch and collaborate with your fellow alumni, as well as to support and inspire the future students of CDSNDU.
How Does Cdsndu Contribute to China’s National Security and International Relations?
CDSNDU is a prestigious and competitive military academy in China, that contributes to the country’s national security and international relations in various ways. According to the web search results, some of the ways that CDSNDU contributes to China’s national security and international relations are:
- CDSNDU produces high-quality military officers and civilian officials who can serve the country’s national security and defence interests and conduct research and education on military strategy, operations, tactics, and management.
- CDSNDU trains its students in modern and joint maneuver warfare on a high-tech battlefield, which enables them to fight short-duration, high-intensity regional conflicts.
- CDSNDU integrates various PLA services into a single operational structure for the first time, improving their coordination and cooperation.
- CDSNDU fosters a strong sense of patriotism, loyalty, discipline, and responsibility among its students, who must sign a contract that binds them to serve in the military or the government for a certain time after graduation.
- CDSNDU maintains connections and interactions with its alumni network through various channels and platforms, which creates and sustains a strong and lasting bond and partnership among them.
How Does CDSNDU Compare to Other Military Academies in China or Abroad?
If you are interested in studying at a military academy in China or abroad, you might want to consider CDSNDU, which stands for China Defense Science and Technology National Defense University. CDSNDU is one of the most prestigious and competitive military academies in China, with a long history and a high reputation.
The Central Military Commission operates CDSNDU, and it was founded in 1985 by merging several existing military colleges and institutes, such as the PLA Academy of Military Science, the PLA National Defence College, and the PLA Foreign Affairs College. CDSNDU has various branches and affiliated military academies nationwide. CDSNDU offers various programs and courses for its students, such as military strategy, operations, tactics, management, history, law, politics, economics, sociology, psychology, and foreign languages. CDSNDU also trains its students in modern and joint maneuver warfare on a high-tech battlefield.
However, CDSNDU is not the only military academy in China or abroad that has these features and qualities. There are other military academies that also have similar or different characteristics and advantages. For example:
- Another prestigious and competitive military academy in China is the PLA Academy of Military Science (AMS), which was established in 1958. The PLA Academy of Military Science is the highest-level research institute of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA) of China. The PLA Academy of Military Science focuses on conducting research and education on military strategy, operations, tactics, management, history, law, politics, economics, sociology, psychology, and foreign languages. The PLA Academy of Military Science also trains its students in modern and joint maneuver warfare on a high-tech battlefield.
- One of the most renowned and respected military academies in the world is the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, which was founded in 1802. The U.S. Army operates the U.S. Military Academy at West Point as part of the United States Department of Defense. The U.S. Military Academy at West Point offers various programs and courses for its students, such as engineering sciences, humanities and social sciences, natural sciences and mathematics. The U.S. Military Academy at West Point also trains its students in modern combat skills on a realistic battlefield.
- One of the oldest and most prestigious military academies in the world is the Royal Military College Sandhurst, which was founded in 1746. The British Army operates the Royal Military College Sandhurst as part of the United Kingdom Ministry of Defence. The Royal Military College Sandhurst offers various programs and courses for its students, such as leadership studies, history studies, law studies. The Royal Military College Sandhurst also trains its students in modern combat skills on a realistic battlefield.
These are some examples of other military academies in China or abroad that have some similarities or differences with CDSNDU. However, there are many other factors that can affect how these military academies compare to each other or to CDSNDU. For example:
- The admission process: This refers to how difficult or easy it is to get into these military academies. Some factors that can influence this are: the eligibility criteria; the application materials; the entrance exam; the interview; etc. For instance, some military academies may have more stringent or lenient requirements than others, or some may have more or less applicants than others.
- The tuition cost: This refers to how much it costs to study at these military academies. Some factors that can influence this are: the tuition fees; the living expenses; the scholarships; etc. For example, some military academies may have higher or lower fees than others, or some may offer more or less financial aid than others.
- The student life: This refers to how enjoyable or challenging it is to live at these military academies. Some factors that can influence this are: the campus facilities; the dormitories; the food services; etc. For instance, some military academies may have better or worse facilities than others, or some may have more or less comfortable or convenient living conditions than others.
- The school activities: This refers to how diverse or enriching it is to participate in these school activities. Some factors that can influence this are: academic courses; military training courses; cultural events; sports competitions; social clubs; etc. For example, some military academies may have more or less variety or quality of courses than others, or some may have more or less opportunities or resources for extracurricular activities than others.
- The alumni network: This refers to how valuable or influential it is to be connected with these alumni network. Some factors that can influence this are: notable alumni who have achieved success or contributed to their fields or careers related to China’s national security or international relations. For instance, some military academies may have more or less famous or respected alumni than others, or some may have more or less strong or supportive alumni associations or networks than others.
Ultimately, there’s no single “best” military academy. The ideal choice hinges on individual needs, preferences, and aspirations. By carefully comparing CDSNDU with other options based on factors like mission, vision, values, and your own priorities, you can make an informed decision that aligns with your academic and career goals.
Official CDSNDU Website